Wednesday 30 November 2011

Living in the NOW, not what could be or what might be...

June 2 2010


Why are we so afraid to turn off our cell phones? Why do we insist on watching television? Why can we earn advanced degrees, run businesses, and give birth while barely batting an eyelash, yet the mere thought of spending a Saturday night alone makes us panic? We are so strong, yet so weak. We are so brave, yet so afraid.

Could it be that "making it" means being grateful for this very moment in life? Could it be that the key to fulfillment is learning to live fully in the present instead of constantly contemplating the future? Could it be that happiness can only be found in this moment, that the elusive "there" for which we endlessly strive is actually 'here', in front of us, easily within reach?

We are not owed anything in life. This existence itself is a gift and for it we are forever in dept. The only was to pay back this debt is with gratitude. Life owes me nothing, but I owe everything to life.

It is your choice whether to view the proverbial glass as half-empty or half-full. You can choose to label your life as lacking and dissatisfying, or you can label it complete and fulfilling.

Living in the moment... I want to master this. I want to live in the now, not the what could be, not the what might be... Just now. This is my reality, this is all I have to work with, I want to embrace it and make it into the best moment I can.

Dancing is not something you do with your head. It is something you feel with you body. Dancing is best when thought has been abandoned.

Dare to do the impossible. It seems that so many of us, so much of the time, are asked by the world to do things that feel utterly impossible. And so many of us, so much of the time, find strength from God knows where to simply make it happen.

I want to embrace everything that life offers me. I want to take comfort in the wild, mysterious natural order of things. I don't want to spend my life watching the clock. I don't want to punch a time card. I don't want to make a checklist. I don't want to live my life like a day planner, scheduling and organizing. I not want to panic,
"when am I going to meet Mr.Right? When am I going to have babies? When am I going to get my book published? When am I going to see my first gray hair? When am I going to be a success? When am I going to die?"
I want to wait for the events of my life the way a little girl waits for Santa Clause, excited and wide-eyed. I want to live like this all the way through to my last breath.

The purpose of this life is not to find one perfect, all-encompassing mate. (No offence to all you happy couples) It is not to mindlessly have babies. It is not to gain notoriety or fame or fortune. The purpose of this life is to find that place inside yourself where you can remain peaceful and optimistic no matter what the outside world throws your way.

I blatantly refuse to spend all my energy making the perfect future that I forget to experience today.
Sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past, stop planning the future, stop figuring out precisely how we feel, stop deciding with our minds exactly what we want our hearts to feel, sometimes we just have to go with the flow and just enjoy life.

This moment right here, right now is all I have - I want it to be a moment to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment