Friday 6 January 2012

Loving Yoga! Am I Alone?

I wish I had of given yoga a chance long long ago.
I've never sweat so much, never had my muscles tremble to failure, never had my body respond like this to what seems like a simple workout. Yoga is my new addiction
In just the few classes I've taken My body has started to mold into a stronger, sexier version of me. I wake up each morning feeling the muscles in my core stretch and pull from the previous days class. It is unlike any other workout I've ever tried. I feel beautiful, confident, powerful, capable and thankful.

http://oneyogaforthepeople.ca/ is an incredible studio. The instructors are incredible. I highly suggest their classes.

Photo of Chris Duggan, my favourite instructor


I've tried things I had never dared before. I have a new found trust for my own control over my body. I used to be the biggest yoga hater. But I've grown to LOVE it. Each class is only as hard as I want it to be. Chris is the perfect instructor for my personality. He lets my girlfriend and I make funny comments under our breath. He plays amazing music and I vibe so well with his personality. I've had other instructors but I don't really bother making an effort to go back to their classes.

Sometimes Yoga is FUNNY!
Here's a pic from today's class where there was a battle
Giant Tits VS flexibility
"Don't do it!" said the girl next to me. "You have too much to live for!"


Thanks to the move called the "plow" I discovered why everyone thinks motor boating is so damn awesome!!! I've also decided that I should start bringing a snorkel to class.

***Getting Real***
On a personal note. I started going to yoga classes with my girlfriend the day after I had to put my dog down. My dog was my best bud, by my side everywhere I went. The Tattoo shop, snowboarding, even strip clubs in Alberta. He was almost 10 years old. I held him as he died. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. It broke my heart and I could hardly hold myself together. After grabbing a quick bite with my girlfriend she dragged me to her yoga class. I didn't want to go cause I didn't want to be quiet and face where my thoughts would go in the stillness. But I got talked into it.
Chris was the instructor that day. Thanks to my almost 12 years in ballet my first class ever was quite successful. Chris made me feel like a natural. I was lovin it... until the end. when the lights went dim and we just layed there focusing on our breathing. The memory of watching my dog take his last breath kept playing over and over in my head like a silent film. For a moment I stopped breathing to try to make it go away. Tears filled my eyes as I layed on my back. Class way dismissed and the lights stayed low. My girlfriend asked me if I was OK. I started to nod but didn't dare speak. But then I shook my head and my sad eyes turned to waterfalls.
I thought I would hate yoga after that. But, I didn't. If you can't cry in front of a bunch of hippies who can you cry in front of, right?!?

In my world that is oh so public, it was nice to be in a room of strangers who weren't looking at me. I was safe. Safe to push myself, safe to try and fail and try again, safe to cry, laugh, and safe to twist into strange positions without judgement or fear. I didn't worry about my make up. I didn't worry what my body looked like. I didn't worry about anything. This was the escapism I craved.

I don't do alone well. That's why I lived with a big dog for so many years. No matter where I was or what was going on in my life I was never really alone.
It's been two months since Mr.Muffin Head died. I've been as busy as possible with shows/gigs and work. I had to make an effort to go back to yoga. Today I realised that Yoga being such a personal journey, it's a LOT like being alone, only with a whole bunch of other people who are alone too. The stillness is still uncomfortable. But I can face the stillness, cause yoga is a journey that is different for everyone. Some work on balance, some work on their bodies, some on rehabilitation.
I'm working on being alone.
And in this class, this safe place, we all stand alone - together.
Mr Fluffy Muffin Head
March 31 2002 - Dec 20 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment